Friday 2 January 2015

Choupo Moting Says Cameroon Can Win the Africa Cup of Nations

      
Indomitable Lions player Choupo Moting has expressed optimism about the upcoming AFCON 2015, stating that Cameroon could grasp the coveted trophy.
Do you agree?

Read excerpts of the interview he granted Bundesliga.com below.

bundesliga.com: Will you be taking part in the first game of the Rückrunde, or will you be going to the Africa Cup of Nations?bundesliga.com: That means you’ll have played an entire year straight, taking into account the FIFA World Cup…

Choupo-Moting: At the moment, I’m fairly certain I’ll be at the Africa Cup of Nations.

bundesliga.com: The Indomitable Lions used to be the toast of African football as the only African country to have reached a World Cup quarter-final. These days, after the World Cup, things are a little more troublesome…

Choupo-Moting: Everyone knows that a few things went wrong at the World Cup, and in terms of organisation and team discipline, there’s a lot that can be improved. In those circumstances, it’s not a surprise if the team performs poorly. Germany is perfect example of how the opposite is done. From back to front, everything is organised perfectly, and that’s the only way you can win things and have success. We have the quality on the pitch to do that, as do other African sides. Our team in qualification had a lot of new faces, so I’m excited to se what’s possible at this tournament.

bundesliga.com: Are Cameroon a team that can win the trophy?

Choupo-Moting: I think so, yes. Teams like us and Nigeria are always among the favourites to be champions, and in qualification. We did very well in a group that had Cote D’Ivoire, one of the best teams in the world. And people shouldn’t forget that no African country has been to as many World Cups as us.

bundesliga.com
: You made a decision to represent Cameroon even after having played for Germany at youth level. With the knowledge you have now, the player you’ve become and Joachim Löw’s lack of strikers, would you have made a different decision?

Choupo-Moting: I’ve never regretted my decision and I don’t think I ever will. Obviously there are a few things in Cameroonian football that could work better, like I’ve said, but those are things you have to work on. Cameroon was close to my heart, though. I know the country well because my dad took me there all the time when I was a kid. I can separate the two nationalities easily. I cheered a lot when Germany won the World Cup, but the national team here is a bonus for me. My bread and butter and my priority is the Bundesliga.

Bundesliga

2 comments:

Unknown said...

story for the gods lol.i wish them luck anyways.let's watch and see

Unknown said...

Patriotic , professional and optimistic are the qualities this guy has. It is always good to dream. I only feel sorry for him because the rest of the squad don't share his dream. Good luck. Allez les Lions