Tuesday 3 March 2015

Spectacular Pic of Bird Fleeing From Hungry Mammal, On Its Back

Lol, I know this ain't news, but this pic caught my fancy. It was fight, or flight.

This stunning picture shows a brutal mid-air battle between a hungry weasel and woodpecker fighting for its life.
The remarkable encounter was captured yesterday by photographer Martin Le-May at Hornchurch Country Park in east London.
He spotted the baby mammal eyeing up its next meal before pouncing on the colourful bird.
Martin told Buzzfeed: "Just after I switched from my binoculars to my camera the bird flew across us and slightly in our direction; suddenly it was obvious it had a small mammal on its back and this was a struggle for life.
"The woodpecker landed in front of us and I feared the worst. I guess though our presence, maybe 25 meters away, momentarily distracted the weasel.
"The woodpecker seized the opportunity and flew up and away into some bushes away to our left. Quickly the bird gathered its self respect and flew up into the trees and away from our sight."

The pair rolled around on the grass before the woodpecker managed to take flight - with the weasel on its back.
Seconds later it managed to escape and the pint-sized weasel ran off to find a more suitable meal.

Mirror UK



No comments: