Saturday 7 March 2015

Cameroon Honours 38 Soldiers Killed In Boko Haram Fight

Watching this on tv was so emotional. Young widows cradling and suckling babies who would never know their fathers. Parents wailing uncontrollably for their sons gone forever. RIP
          
Coffins of the troops who died in clashes in the country’s far north were on display as their families and officials gathered to remember them.

AFP– Cameroon honoured 38 soldiers on Friday killed in fighting with Boko Haram Islamists in recent months, with officials pledging the struggle against the militants will be won.
“The head of state, commander in chief, commemorates with great sadness the memory of these soldiers who died defending their country,” Cameroon’s Defence Minister Edgar Alain Mebe Ngo’o said.
“The war against Boko Haram, will be won,” he said.
Boko Haram has expanded its insurgency from Nigeria in recent months, attacking border areas of neighbouring countries including Cameroon.

Cameroon deployed its army in the far north in August against the insurgents and over 60 of its soldiers have been killed since then.
In recent months Cameroon has held a series of ceremonies to remember its fallen troops, killed during roughly 20 attacks that took place between December and February in a range of Cameroonian towns on the Nigerian border such as Fotokol and Kolofata.

The youngest soldier was just 22 when he died. All the dead were awarded medals honouring them for bravery..


9 comments:

Unknown said...

so sad.may God strengthen the families and friends they have left behind.

Unknown said...

The saddest of my life seeing my mum in such pain and feeling the vacancy. The worst part is I couldn't be there present. May their gentle souls rest in perfect peace

Unknown said...

your mum is going to be fine ANGELE.ACCEPT MY CONDOLENCE..ONCE MORE RIP TO OUR FALLEN HEROES

Unknown said...

A million thanks Canisia. I say amen to your prayers

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about your loss Angele, I can't even begin to imagine how you and your family feel. RIP to all the young men, and may we see an end to this war soon. Cani, thanks for your comments. That's what we need now, more than ever before...SOLIDARITY

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Moity. I enjoy the solidarity on here. I remember how many people here Sent their heartfelt condolences when the sad news occoured in December. I just wish I don't hijack this post again for my pity party Iike I did llast December. I appreciate dearly how much you guys really care. Thanks again Moity and blog family for the care. May God bless you guys.

Unknown said...

I feel so sad sad with this. Still wondering how Boko haram became a Cameroonian problem.You know some days i will selfishly say thank God my Dad(soldier) is on retirement. But then i ask myself what about the young lives fighting for us. I have two cousins out there in the army. AM scared. See lives wasted. Cameroon is not used to this. may God protect the others in the battle field. Sorry Angele Marie for your loss. I know how it feels especially if you are far from home. I spent the best part of my last week weeping for this souls lost. may they find rest eternally.

Unknown said...

RIP REAL HEROES.My condolonces to u Angele and to all the families of these fallen heroes.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Queenie. My prayers are with all those fighting for us in the battle field. God will bless and protect them. Desmond thank you. Glad to hear from you. It's been a while.